Thursday, March 10, 2011

1 Nephi 17

Chapter 17 has a lot in it worth thinking about. It makes me want to read it again, but I'm already behind on pages and the point is to get an overall picture, so I'll have to come back. Still, here are a few things I thought of:

-The lord "straitens" the children of Egypt as they wander for their wickedness (vs. 41) but he does so by sending them flying serpents. In of itself, it seems like a punishment, and it is. Still, he also sent a way for them to not only be healed, but a type of Christ. Perhaps the entirety of the punishment was really a way to bring them to Him, not as a punishment and then a separate lesson. I'd like to keep that in mind in the modern day, too. Even the wicked who are rightfully punished are His children and he desires to bring them to him.

-In verses 26-31, Nephi talks of miracles that took place "on his word." I always assumed that meant, by his power. It probably does. Still, when I read it this time, I thought, "I wonder if that also means, as he promised?"

No comments:

Post a Comment